Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Off .. Off.. and Away.. Where to?

Wow,  5:00 A.M. comes quickly.. Everyone else is already showered and they let me sleep until the
last-minute but it is time to get moving.  Feels like 2:00 A.M. to me but hey let's go explore.  I understand it will be a long drive today for our first destination but I learn that we are heading to Salvador Bahia with a stop on the way for a day or two of eco-tourism. We have a quick breakfast, load the car and down the empty streets still lit by the street lamps we head.  I barely get out of Goiania city limits my eyes slip shut in slumber.  I had intended to stay awake and see the land but this part of the drive I have seen before.  Past Anapolis and onto Brasilia,  Somewhere along the way I wake allowing me to assist Junior (the driver) maneuver his way through the capital city.  It is drive.. drive.. drive for us.  With occasional stops for gas, restroom, food and for me more sleep then what I had planned.  I cannot say the IMG_2343food along the way leaves anything to desire.  No fast food restaurants here. Just dirty gas stations with restaurants attached.  A couple we stop at for restroom breaks I wonder how they can get past any health inspection but then again we are in Brazil. The terrain is a mix of farmland and rolling hills with an occasional river to cross.  The roadsIMG_2352 are two lane with lots of traffic coming from the other direction.  Brazilians are coming back from Salvador and the beaches along the coast to Brasilia and Goiania.  It sure requires more patience when attempting to pass the large number of trucks moving slowly along the path.  Not to mention the trucks are extra long. Junior decides to turn and take a less traveled route and soon he regrets this decision.  The driving becomes more intense as potholes are added to the stress of passing the trucks as we maneuver the roads. These are not small pot holes either,  they are ones that require missing or you may end up ruining your vehicle.  Around five or six in the evening we decide to stop and find a hotel in Seabra (only 936 kilometers from Goiania).   A small town in the state of Bahia,  Seabra has around 40,000 residents and is a stopping point for many travelers making their way to and from the coast and the beaches. IMG_2353 Tonight the streets are lined with buses all waiting for the morning and the next leg of their journey.  We find a nice hotel and snag their last room with 4 beds, air, and internet.  Not sure how good the internet will be as that is always the issue in Brazil,  but we don't plan to spend too much time online and if we must head to the reception area to get a signal,  we may just do that.  Although I slept a large part of the way,  I am still feeling tired and ready for a quick bite to eat and then some good dream time.  We find a Chinese restaurant down the street (which really means Brazilian food) and enjoy a quick meal.  At least it is different then the truck stop food we ate all day. This day saw lots of countryside with little exploring but I hope tomorrow will be a little different.  We have made good time and are only an hour from our first destination Lencois.  We should get an early start and be there quickly tomorrow.  Time to do a little internet surfing and then get some sleep.  I am still adjusting to the time change and the night of no sleep.

No comments: