Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Return from Mineiros

((Today's photos are of sidewalks around Goiania -- I am intrigued by the beauty and creativity of these mosaics and I think they tie in with the final statement of this post -- let me know if you agree))

I woke up this morning and there was sadness in the house.  The main reason for our trip this weekend was to visit Luiz' grandma (102 years old) as her health is failing. She has not been doing very well the past couple of weeks so many relatives are coming to pay her a visit.  Her home is right next door and the two homes share a back yard.  You can imagine she has played a large roll in their families lives. As I sit and eat some breakfast,  I sit back and think about what she has witnessed in her life. So what was it like in 1910:  it was the 9th year of competitive fotebol in Brazil -  Hermes da Fonseca was elected President of Brazil - Revolt of the Lash happened in Rio de Janeiro where the black Navy crew overthrew the white officers and threatened to bombard Rio / it lasted a whole week - these are just a few of the news paper headlines for the year she was born. (thanks wikipedia)  She was around when Brazil competed in their first Olympics (1920) - World War I and World War II - the Revolution of 1930 - Military dominance of Brazil and many different changes in the politics of the country.  All these events not to mention the changes she has personally witnessed.  When she was born, people traveled by horse as there were no cars. There were no computers, phones, electricity, indoor plumbing, sewers, mp3 players, radios or many other modern luxuries. It makes me begin to think about the things that have appeared in my lifetime, like ipads, cell phones, walkmans, CD’s, microwaves, just to name a few that come to my mind. I can barely remember what life was like before these introductions, but if I strain hard enough I can remember. I try and imagine what might be around the corner.  Time will only tell.

As I sit finishing my food, I take a minute to remember my own Grandmas. How their lives impacted me and enriched my life. I begin reflecting on visiting with Grandma Harbeck and hearing stories of her winning the Betty Crocker National Bake Off. Then actor Ronald Reagan was the celebrity who awarded her the prize and she often showed me the photo to prove it. With this win she received a trip to Germany. Also remembering how we would talk about Grandpa and how he was truly the love of her life. It was hard for her to live without him.
Next I think about Grandma Woelber who I cherished the weekends I spent at her home during college.  Only 20 minutes from where I attended college, it was a great weekend or day get away for my cousin Lisa and I.  We would often go there to do laundry, have lunch, catch up with relatives, and find time to study. Her home was always a welcoming place and reminds me of Luiz's moms.  The minute Grandma Woelber caught a glimpse of us: “Oh Forevermore” would rattled from her lips.  Many times she would be napping when we arrived.  She would wake and when entering into the dining room and you would hear those words ... "oh forevermore" and they would make you feel so welcome. I remember one time after she passed away I went to the farm house and was sitting in the dining room  I began to expect that any minute she would awake and come out with the welcoming “Oh Forevermore” but those words would never come again.



Thinking about Luiz’s families’ current situation brings me to think about life and some of the moments with my grandparents. The shiners circuses, camping at Little Sioux, birthday celebrations, holiday celebrations. These were all good times and I cherish the memories. Grandma Woelber’s farm provides a wonderful memory of support and unconditional love. I am so thankful that I went to college so close and was able to use her ringer washing machine and dry my clothes on the cloth lines outside. One of the fondest memories comes to mind as I reflect. Lisa and I had come to the farm to make some sugar cookies for friends. We arrive and begin to prepare the cookie dough. As we begin to roll our first batch of cookies, my aunt shows up with unbaked cookie dough.  She had heard of our plans and thought she would save us a step.  We were up to the task and now have two batches to bake. We start and after a little while another aunt shows up. You will never guess what she has brought for us… yes more cookie dough. Needless to say we laughed and make cookies all afternoon ( I think it was over 150 cut out sugar cookies) . By the time we are decorating the last of them, we had thinned down the frosting and were creatively splashing it on the cookies. These are wonderful memories that I will hold dear to my heart until my time has come. OK – that has been a large flashback and little to do with today, but I did say in my introduction that I would share my history with you so I hope you enjoyed the little bit of insight into my life.















After lunch we (Luiz, his aunt, cousin, and I) ride the 5+ hours through the truck burdened roads. It is a treacherous ride and will sure be better when the additional two lanes are finished. On the ride I am graced with the sighting of three toucans. I think I have shared before that I love these birds. They are not graceful in flight and they do not make a beautify song, but they are sure interesting and different birds. I guess that must be the reason I like them so. Our journey finds us safe in Goiania in time to eat and unwind for the evening.  As I am heading to sleep I remember a poem that I used to give out a lot to people.  I share it with you in hopes that it encourages you to cherish your
bits - n - pieces...


Bits and pieces,
Bits and pieces.
People.
People important to you,
People unimportant to you
cross your life, touch it with love and move on.
There are people who leave you,
 and you breathe a sigh of relief
and wonder why you ever came into contact with them.
There are people who leave you,
and you breathe a sigh of remorse
and wonder why they had to go and leave such a gaping hole.
Children leave parents,
 Friends leave friends.
Acquaintances move on.
People change homes.
People grow apart.
Enemies hate and move on.
 Friends love and move on.
You think of the many people who have moved in and out of your hazy memory.
You look at those present and wonder.

I believe in God's master plan in lives.
He moves people in and out of each other's lives,
and each leaves his mark on the other.
You find you are made up of bits and pieces of all who have ever touched your life.
You are more because of them, and would be less if they had not touched you.
 Pray that you accept the bits and pieces in humility and wonder, and never question and never regret's.
Bit's and pieces,
bits and pieces.


-Anonymous
(Read "What hidden Gems! Goiania") or  (Read "RIo de Janiero - Day 1)  or (Read "A little bit of History about Goias")


Please let me know if you would like a personal tour of Mineiros -I would be happy to share this beautiful city with you! All inclusive packages available--
See my about me page for contact information or leave a comment.

No comments: